cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can you please help figure out why I cannot telnet, ssh or asmd into a asa 5505 using its private IP address, with a successful remote access vpn established?

danpenforreal
Level 1
Level 1

can you please help me figure out why I cannot telne,ssh or asm into an ASA 5505 using its private ip address? I do have a succesful remote access VPN.

I can asdm in to asa from home using its public interface.  also my local pc has the same private ip as the asa 192.168.1.1). this is confusing me when pinging the 192.168.1.1. Who's responding my local or the asa? whew!! not easy this vpn thing!!!! My local pc is also getting 192.168.3.129 from the remotevpnpool. Please help!!!

Anyway, i was told the ip overlapping was no an issue.  I am a rookie with cisco products(newcomer) so Please help!! thank you in advance.

p.s.

I attaching the running config:

6 Replies 6

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

This might be your problem:

telnet 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.255 inside

Try changing it to telnet 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 inside

Also if I was you I would consider removing this line:

telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside

It means anyone using any IP address would be able to telnet to the outside address of your firewall.

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful

You cannot telnet to the lowest security interface. This is by design.

so, this line "telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside" being there will not allow to telnet to the outside itnerface. Still, makes sense to remove it.

You need to change this line as well in addition to fixing the telnet line.

http 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.255 inside -----> to reflect the correct mask 255.255.255.0

conf t

no http 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.255 inside

http 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 inside

You already have "management-access inside" line which is required to telnet, asdm or ssh to the inside interface when connecting via vpn.

The ssh line looks correct "ssh 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 inside"

Does that work? Have you created an rsa key-pair?

If not pls. create one. "cry key gene rsa modulus 1024"

Once done ssh should work.

-KS

thank you so much for your quick response.  I made all  the changes you suggested- changing the subnet mask of the 192.168.3.0 network to /24. to both telnet and ssh and I still cannot access the private ip of the asa via telnet or ssh.

I deleted the vpn and re-created it via the asdm, which I can access using its public ip address.  I was careful to include the split tunnel option, and to select the private ip range I wanted expose to my vpn users.  This also did not work.

I am suspicious of the acl- inside_nat0_outbound permiting 192.68.1.0 network to talk to the 192.168.3.128.  the asdm configuration I specified from 192.168.3.19-192.168.3.254 range.  the /25 network seems to be the same thing......but I am not sure.

I am a bit puzzle because i can telnet to the outside public ip via hyperterminal. what do you mean when you say-you can not telnet to the lowest security interface.  this is by design? is this not the outside interface I am telnetting to?

anyway, bottom line is I believe something is blocking my tunnel traffic and I am not sure what it is!!!!!!! Thanks again for all your effort.

interface Vlan1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan2
description << External IP Space >>
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address <

See the security level of the two interfaces? One is 100 and the other is 0 right? Telent is not possible to the lowest security interface. In your cas the outside interface has the lowest security level. That is by design on all cisco firewalls.

Can you ping the inside interface when connected via VPN?

Check this link and see if it helps: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13012

-KS

Hi guys, I finally figured why I could not connect to the remote asa private ip via the remote access vpn.  I had mentioned that my local pc and the asa IP address were the same.  I really had doubts about it but I was told this was a none issue.  It turns out that once I changed the linksys local network from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.0.0........I was able to telnet, ssh and asdm to the asa using its ip address.

whew!.......that really that seem simple right about now.  I had my suspicion it was that; then, again I suspected everything else.

I really want to thank everyone ata csc for all the support.  Thanks everyone, and then some!!!!

by the way did you mean to say, that was the default setting on the outside interface. lowest security setting can be change using a ACL, right.

Sorry, I don't know how to copy paste to this page.....otherwise I would show you more.  Thanks again for all your effort.

Alian said that on your other post https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3264912#3264912

Two devices cannot have the same IP address in a network. That is duplicate IP address. Will cause a lot of problems.

I don't understand what you mean by "by the way did you mean to say, that was the default setting on the  outside interface. lowest security setting can be change using a ACL,  right.".

By default, the outside is the less secure network and will always have a security level lower than the inside.

-KS

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card