Views
Helpful
Replies

Cascading Security Contexts

Mafiaboy401
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

Anybody knows how to configure Cascading Security Contexts in Cisco ASA? How works?

Any step by step configure?

Thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
2 Replies 2

Luis Silva Benavides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Luis,

That document is rather sparse when it comes to detailed information on Cascading contexts.  Are there any documents that go into more details?

In particular I am looking for packet processing information. If you have multiple contexts that have their outside interfaces connected to a "Gateway Context" is Inter-Context traffic processed entirely by the ASASM and does not hit the switch?

Im comparing this to a standard configuration in which multiple contexts would have their Outside interfaces connected to the switches MSFC. In that configuration I would think that the switch would need to process the packets as they egress the outside interface of one context and ingress the outside interface of another.

I would see how in either scenario the switch would process the Layer-2 switching. In the 1st example I would not expect the switch to have to process the Layer-3 traffic as its routing between 3 different contexts on the same ASASM and not having to route down to the MSFC.

Thank you.

Edit:

Just thought of something else I had on my mind.  Would it be possible to run EIGRP between cascading contexts when running ASA Version 9.0(1)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card