Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing ASA HA pair external IP addresses

express17187
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We are a new service provider for one of our customers and as a result we need to change the external IP addresses for a ASA5505 pair which are configured for Active/Standby HA.

I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be. I was thinking hop onto the primary firewall, TFTP the running config, open up and change the IP addresses for the interfaces and standby IPs on the public side, copy back to the ASA as startup-config and reload the primary firewall.

But then my thoughts went to the secondary firewall and whether it will take the new config, or will it remain on the old config, and both ASAs would see themselves as Active?

Ideally I would like to avoid wiping both configs and starting from scratch, but I am just after some guidance or ideas on the best way to achieve this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are on an Inside network or console, just log in to the Primary Active member, make the change in interface configuration mode and save it..

It will not need to be reloaded and thus you don't have to work about a dual active sort of conflict. As soon as you make the change it will replicate to the Secondary Standby member.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: