Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 SO upgrade

jneves100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I bought a ASA 5510 and it cames with 8.2(5) software version, but already exists updates (8.4).

I have not any contract and i would like to know if i can make this update?

If it is possible, i would like to know what is the best procedure to make the update (from 8.2(5) direct to the last update or from 8.2 to 8.3 and then to 8.4)?

Thank you.

JL

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally you need a valid service contract to be able to download and install updated software. the exception being a security fix or new purchase either direct from Cisco or an authorized reseller.

Actually 9.1(1) is the latest ASA software. For a 5510 to move to 8.3 or higher it must have adequate memory (1 GB). Reference

Regarding upgrade paths, (assuming you have entitlement and memory) you can move directly from 8.2(5) to either 8.4(5) or 9.1(1) (8.4 reference and 9.1 reference). If it is a new build, then you don't have to worry about the possible issues (reference) with your current NAT and older unsupported commands moving forward. You will need to upgrade ASDM along with the ASA system software.

Thank you Marvin Rhoads for your answer!

In fact this is a new equipment (new purchase), with 1gb of memory and since we haven't configured yet we could make the updates without concerns.

In your opinion, we should contact Cisco Support to enable the last software version or our resseller?

Thank you.

JL

You're welcome.

I'd recommend contacting your reseller. They should be able to provide current software for a new purchase. I wonder why you bought a 5510 instead of one of the newer models like the 5512X or 5515X.

In the longer term, you should consider getting Smartnet coverage. Coverage for a 5510 is reasonably priced (CON-SNTP-AS1BUNK9, US$587/year list price) and will entitle you to hardware coverage, all software upgrades and 24x7 TAC support.

Please rate helpful replies and/or mark your question as answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card