Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5550 4GE etherchannel

Hi!

I've search for an hour but can't find any additional information why one couldn't use etherchannel on ASA 5550 4GE module installed in slot1 ("You cannot use interfaces on the 4GE SSM, including the integrated 4GE SSM in slot 1 on the ASA 5550, as part of an EtherChannel.")

The reason why this bothers me is before I was aware of this notice I configured two etherchannel links with ASA 5550 and haven't experienced any problem (so far):

- port-channel1 (4 phy interfaces): ge0/0,0/1,0/2 and 0/3 (connected to switch portchannel 3)

- port-channel2 (2 phy interfaces): ge1/0,1/1 (connected to switch portchannel 4)

Could someone please explain what I am missing here?

Jernej

5 Replies 5

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Maybe the SSM documentation quote you reference is from a pre 8.4 publication. Etherchannel was only added to the ASA as of version 8.4(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/release/notes/asarn84.html#wp522232

So if it is working, you must be running 8.4(x).

That is correct, the 4GE module does not support etherchannel.

Here is a bug that has been raised to get more clarify: bugID: CSCtq62715

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtq62715

I would suggest that you open a TAC case so the engineer can contact the engineering to give you more explaination on why 4GE module does not support etherchannel.

Steve Carter
Level 4
Level 4

I know this is a very old post, but has anyone gotten an update on this?

The orignal post tells me that this was working in earlier code.

I think it's because all 4 GE interface on the expansion slot share one 1GE internal interface (on ASA5550). So there is no reason to bundle them, you don't get any additional throughput.

The reason that it worked on a previous code was based on the bug that was published, it should have never worked at all.

Value our effort and rate the assistance!

Value our effort and rate the assistance!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card