cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5585 transparent firewall failover issur when the switch enabled Loop guard

veonwu0702
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone ,

We are deploying the Cisco ASA 5585 in transparent mode with multiple contexts, the port-channel was configured to connect to the core switches using  dot1q trunk.

We are experiencing an issue which is the core switches are configured loop guard globally, therefore the port-channel connected to the firewalls will be put into inconsistent state when the failover happen, and the two firewalls' failover can not fulfill the failover at last.

I have two queries below.

1.  Does the firewall allow the BPDU passing through when it is in standby mode, for example, secondary firewall is active for group 2 and standby for      group 1.  does the secondary firewall block the BPDU from the valns under group1 ? 

2.  Can we disable the loop guard feature on the switch port-channel or is there anyother way to solve this issue ?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Veon

3 Replies 3

veonwu0702
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone can help ?

benj.david
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Veon,

I can only reply to your first question : An ASA does not forward any traffic on the interfaces/vlan where it acts as standby, so it does not forward the BPDU on these vlans.

I have the same issue as you, so if you have found a solution, I would be happy if you can share it.

Regards,

benjamin

h.groeger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

as far I saw so far the Loop Guard feature is global. Depending on your switch platform/IOS version, you can try to use the Bridge Assurance feature as an alternative to STP LG. STP BA has to be enabled on a global level as well, but you afterwards you have to activate it on an interface level.

Please use the following link in order to have details about STP BA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/stp_enha.html#wp1052528

search for "Understanding Bridge Assurance"

Best Regards

Heiko

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card