cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 8.6.1 Shape Command Invalid

TechDude
Level 1
Level 1

Tried setting up a Shape Policy and it states its invalid.  Worked fine on my 5520, just curious if anyone else might know why its coming as invalid now                  

ciscoasa(config-pmap-c)# shape

^

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ciscoasa(config-pmap-c)# shape ?

ERROR: % Unrecognized command

22 Replies 22

Same situation we are seeing.  50Mbps Ethernet DIA and PTP connections with no shaping.  I dont want to have to spend even more money for a switch or router to provide the shaping.  Unacceptable.

TechDude
Level 1
Level 1

I already have an open ticket with engineering, at least I'm told I do lol

Yeah ended up doing it with the router infront of the firewall to handle things with a shaper policy

TechDude
Level 1
Level 1

That works fine on the old ASAs, not on the new ones.  Other people have reported the same issue and a bug was opened.

Cisco,

Is shaping on the roadmap for the "Next Gen" ASAs?

TechDude
Level 1
Level 1

Its still an open bug so not sure, youd think theyd add that by now

Songsmythe
Level 1
Level 1

I wish I had found this thread before spending days trying to determine why my ASA 5515-X wasn't traffic shaping...sigh.

The reason why it does not work is this:

*Traffic shaping is only supported on the ASA 5505, 5510, 5520, 5540, and 5550. Multi-core models (such as the ASA 5500-X) do not support shaping.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa-command-reference/S/cmdref3/s1.html#pgfId-1580793

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card