cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA External Logging

bhupen5565
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I want to create new LOG server for my existing ASA Firewall. I want to know what are the possible syslog server I can use. 

is there is any cisco freeware tool for external log server. I don't trus 3rd party software like kiwi syslog. Kindly suggest for that also 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't have any free syslog server. Cisco Prime Infrastructure will act as a syslog server (among many other things) for thousands of dollars.

You can equally well run the free version of Kiwi syslog server if you like Windows and a GUI. It works perfectly fine - I have several customers who use it and are happy with it. The paid version is even better - it all depends on your requirements.

Syslog is one of the most common utility tools though - you can even run a simple syslog daemon on any Linux host and capture the data.

View solution in original post

It's commercial software and it's from a well-known US vendor.

I know it works just fine and, given the nature of syslog, doesn't have the ability to affect any of your network devices or your security.

I can't say what your organization may or may not find trustworthy; but I have no problems with it nor do any of my customers (which include state and local government agencies).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't have any free syslog server. Cisco Prime Infrastructure will act as a syslog server (among many other things) for thousands of dollars.

You can equally well run the free version of Kiwi syslog server if you like Windows and a GUI. It works perfectly fine - I have several customers who use it and are happy with it. The paid version is even better - it all depends on your requirements.

Syslog is one of the most common utility tools though - you can even run a simple syslog daemon on any Linux host and capture the data.

Hi Marvin, 
Thanks for reply and your time. 

Is Kiwi Log server trust worthy I mean, our organization is very restricted about it. I have to take full approvals for this. 

It's commercial software and it's from a well-known US vendor.

I know it works just fine and, given the nature of syslog, doesn't have the ability to affect any of your network devices or your security.

I can't say what your organization may or may not find trustworthy; but I have no problems with it nor do any of my customers (which include state and local government agencies).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card