Replies

Cisco ASA/Firepower throughput per flow

kerstin-534
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

what ist the throughput per throughput on multicore ASA

Cisco ASA ASA5585-SSP-20 1 CPU 8 Core

when using 10Gbit NICs ? Each flow is handled by one core. Is there a limit per core ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I asked Andrew Ossipov directly at Cisco Live Barcelona today.

He told me that on an ASA 5585-X (non-Firepower), the single flow throughput limit is 3-4 Gbps (TCP) or 6-8 Gbps (UDP).

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

the max throughput for ASA 5585 SSP40 is 20Gbps

BLOCK_DIAGRAM1.PNGBLOCK_DIAGRAM2.PNGBLOCK_DIAGRAM3.PNG

Andrew Ossipov did a cisco live have a look BRKSEC-3021

please do not forget to rate.

yes, the Cisco Live with Andrew Ossipov does some clarification, the question is throughput per flow. So the box have a data-sheet throughput of 5 Gbps and 10Gbit NICs. When there is a service, eg a CIFS file service, when doing exact one transfer over the 5585-SSP20 what is the limit on the flow. 

I think the best answer we could get is from cisco tac.

Are you using the Firepower module? If so, the limiting factor will be that a given flow (5-tuple) is tied to a single Snort process. A Snort process is limited to something like 500 Mbps per instance.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-management-center/200420-Processing-of-Single-Stream-Large-Sessio.html#anc6

No, without Firepower. Simple one TCP connection through ASA in the fastest path.

yes it will be in fastest path if it is in stateful inspection entry.

I asked Andrew Ossipov directly at Cisco Live Barcelona today.

He told me that on an ASA 5585-X (non-Firepower), the single flow throughput limit is 3-4 Gbps (TCP) or 6-8 Gbps (UDP).

nice one Marvin thanks.

thank you, Marvin

We are opening up a Case with Cisco TAC shortly.  We did some performance testing on single nuttcp flows with the Cisco 5585-X and got limited to 2.9 Gb/s for a single TCP Flow.   Please advise on your reference on (non-Firepower).  We have Model ASA5585-SSP-60 running 9.8(4)40.   The SPEC sheet for the 5585-X is 20 Gbps for NON-VPN multi protocol for total throughput , so its odd that a single flow is limited to 2.9Gbps.

Thanks in advance.

As I noted in my posting from 30 January 2019, the expected maximum throughput for a single TCP session is 3-4 Gbps. So, if you are getting 2.9 Gbps, I wouldn't expect any more than that. The 20 Gbps number is the expected maximum across multiple sessions/flows, TCP and UDP, from multiple hosts to multiple hosts.

Marvin,

Thanks for the response on this.  The Cisco TAC didn't provide any definitive SPECS for the ASA 5585X-SSP-60 hardware yet.  However, we tested our new FPR9K with SM-56 which should be capable of 10 Gbps on single Flow and only got 6 Gbps.  On further review we found that the MSS without it being properly tuned/configured for Jumbo frames is limited to 1380 (1368).  By setting it on the FPR9k via the command: sysopt connection tcpmss 0, it allowed a higher MSS of 8948 to take advantage of our 9K Jumbo Frames MTU. We then got over 9 Gbps on the FPR9K.  Setting the same sysopt command on the 5585-X with SSP-60  it then boosted the single flow performance to 8 Gbps. All tested with the Nuttcp tool.  https://www.nuttcp.net/Welcome%20Page.html and Linux servers with 10Gb NICs.

V/R

Marvin,

Thanks for the response on this.  The Cisco TAC didn't provide any definitive SPECS for the ASA 5585X-SSP-60 hardware yet.  However, we tested our new FPR9K with SM-56 which should be capable of 10 Gbps on single Flow and only got 6 Gbps.  On further review we found that the MSS without it being properly tuned/configured for Jumbo frames is limited to 1380 (1368).  By setting it on the FPR9k via the command: sysopt connection tcpmss 0, it allowed a higher MSS of 8948 to take advantage of our 9K Jumbo Frames MTU. We then got over 9 Gbps on the FPR9K.  Setting the same sysopt command on the 5585-X with SSP-60  it then boosted the single flow performance to 8 Gbps. All tested with the Nuttcp tool.  https://www.nuttcp.net/Welcome%20Page.html and Linux servers with 10Gb NICs.

V/R

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card