cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA vs 1941 ?

mrehman02
Level 1
Level 1

Dears, I have a cisco Asa 5510 which is doing some basic firewall roles in the network. And 1941 router which is our internet router. We are planning to provide VPN  access and also host an  database which needs to be accessed from the internet. It would be helpful if some one can advice on the below points please.

1. Can I configure the above requirements in a cisco 1941 router ?

2. Do I need a seperate firewall device like ASA ?

3. Do I need a special licence to accomplish this?

4. Is port forwarding a better option for publishing our database for external access? Expecting atleast 500 concurrent (at times)users accessing the portal.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ansarjavaid54
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there..

You can do this using Internal Service Module (VPN ISM)  and license to support on your router and it support maximum of 500 sessions at a time. But i think this is gonna be more costly then doing port forwarding on your router.

For more info

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/vpn-internal-service-module-isr-g2/data_sheet_c78-682436.html

Just do port forwarding for you database server....

Please rate if you find this information helpful.

Regards!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ansarjavaid54
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there..

You can do this using Internal Service Module (VPN ISM)  and license to support on your router and it support maximum of 500 sessions at a time. But i think this is gonna be more costly then doing port forwarding on your router.

For more info

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/vpn-internal-service-module-isr-g2/data_sheet_c78-682436.html

Just do port forwarding for you database server....

Please rate if you find this information helpful.

Regards!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card