cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring SSH allowed addresses on ASA 5506-X:

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using ASA 5506-X.  I have an external network, whose computers need to SSH into the ASA.  To do this I configured:

ssh x.x.x.x x.x.x.x outside

Where x.x.x.x x.x.x.x is the external address range of the outside network somewhere else in the world.

With this config, I think the outside interface will then allow connections with the above range coming from the internet (i.e. no VPN needed for SSH).  But, please correct me if I'm wrong.   

Then, to be able to have the SSH reach the inside interfaces also,  I simply add the config:

management-access inside

Finally, there is a mysterious config from a previous administrator.  It uses a private-address on the outside interface:

ssh 10.x.x.x x. 255.255.252.0 outside

What is the purpose of allowing SSH on an outside interface for an private address?  Why was that config likely put on the device??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

full config for ssh to asa on outside interface:

username admin password cisco priv 15
aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL
ssh 172.27.1.5 255.255.255.255 outside             - this is your source network
crypto key generate rsa modulus 1024
sh ssh sessions                - see who is connected

regarding private address on the outside - this can be used if the interface connected to a corporate network that had that network as the source.

please accept as solution if it was so :)

regards, mk

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Try this

!

username admin password Cisco priv 15

!

ssh outside x.xx.x x.x.xx 

in regards to outside interface with RFC1918 doesn’t make sense.

might he don’t no what he doing

please do not forget to rate.

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

full config for ssh to asa on outside interface:

username admin password cisco priv 15
ssh 172.27.1.5 255.255.255.255 outside             - this is your source network
crypto key generate rsa modulus 1024
sh ssh sessions                - see who is connected

regarding private address on the outside - this can be used if the interface connected to a corporate network that had that network as the source.

please accept as solution if it was so :)

regards, mk

I see in the object-group configs there is a network object group that includes the private address referenced in ssh as the RFC1918 address.  This object-group  is mapped to the device by an IPsec VPN tunnel.  

So I suppose this would allow SSH on inside devices to go through the tunnel instead of through the unprotected internet.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card