Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Usage Monitoring

giridar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am planing to replace our existing firewall and fortigate with CISCO 5525x, currently both are used only for internet traffic

firewall is just for security and the fortigate manages the user data usage

would like to know if it is possible to monitor and control internet data usage

my requirements are to authenticate users to access internet (AD authentication) and monitor user wise data usage

thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

Hi there,

if you are planing to migrate from fortigate to cisco, you need to understand few differences between both device architecture. each have pros and cons.

1 - fortigate have on-box management system and cisco have ASDM to manage firewall (GUI)

2 - fortigate have same management system to manage UTM features and cisco have ASDM option and separate management console (firepower management center) as per requirement.

through the firepower management center with Cisco, you can easily manage and monitor user traffic and other traffic categories. 

regards,

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***
Good Luck

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi,

Thank you for the solution and one more thing, currently the internet access is authenticated through Fortigate (AD authentication), is it possible to do the same in the 5525

Not with ASA natively. It can be done in FTD which is the next generation.
Remember that Fortigate is next gen firewall and can't be compared with
ASA. Instead it should be compared with FTD

Hi,

ASA can provide a netflow feed to any 3rd party but ASA doesn't have
capability for data usage. How your data usage appliance will enforce the
limits.

Hi,

Thank you and sorry I am a noob in this area, so please forgive my silly questions

Feel free to ask at anytime. We all learn here.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card