cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Decommision and repurpose ASA 5505

nschutte
Level 1
Level 1

We have reconfigured our network and have decommissioned a few ASA 5505s.  I would like to allow these devices to be repurposed but do not want to allow any other business units to be able to recover and access our configuration information.  I have already done a write erase and have removed log directories.  What other steps do I need to take to clean them up while still allowing them to be fully functional?  The units do not have additional licensing (no extra users, no sec plus) but I am seeing conflicting information about what would need to be done to them if I formatted flash. 

Thank you

3 Replies 3

You don't need to do anything else.  Another way of doing something similar is to use the config factory-default command.  This will set it back to the factory default settings and set the dhcp config so a user can connect and get an IP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/start.html#wp1053752

please rate any helpful posts.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Is it possible to recover any information from the device after a write erase?  The way I look at it, it is flash memory.  If I can recover photos deleted from a flash card I would think it would be simple enough to recover files deleted from flash with a simple write erase.  Is this not correct?

No once you delete the configuration it is gone.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card