cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deep Packet Inspection

toms001199
Level 1
Level 1

If deep packet inspection "sees" personal identifying information in a packet(SS#, Bank account information, etc.), does it log the information in clear text, does it replace with other characters, does it remove it form the log?  Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ryancisco01
Level 1
Level 1

Well I am pretty sure the answer is no. However I am not sure when you refer to logging the information, logging to where? 

If you mean to an external syslog server then no, it wont send the payload just the header information.

Also the ASA doesn't support DLP by default either, so it wont have any clue as to what is sensitive data and what is not.

The administrator could mirror all traffic from a firewall out to a forensic server to look at all that kind of info though if they wanted to, and the Cisco would forward it out exactly as it was transmitted it would not obscure anything.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ryancisco01
Level 1
Level 1

Well I am pretty sure the answer is no. However I am not sure when you refer to logging the information, logging to where? 

If you mean to an external syslog server then no, it wont send the payload just the header information.

Also the ASA doesn't support DLP by default either, so it wont have any clue as to what is sensitive data and what is not.

The administrator could mirror all traffic from a firewall out to a forensic server to look at all that kind of info though if they wanted to, and the Cisco would forward it out exactly as it was transmitted it would not obscure anything.  

Thanks.  That answers my question.  I appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card