cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Relay problems

cbkirwan1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, so last weekend I had a problem when implementing 2 Cisco 5508X ASA's.  I had the routes correct, the VLANs being trunked, mac addresses on the interfaces and even thousands of hit counts on my rule sets.  Only problem was that I was not getting an address.  This firewall is used to segment our wireless traffic.  My wireless network's were not getting addresses and in the packet capture I wasn't seeing any DHCP requests coming through.  This firewall is identical to the old 5520's I'm pulling out.  The only thing different is now with the 5508's I have this DHCP Relay Interface Servers option.  Also there we're not hit's on my ACL rules for the DHCP either.  Any suggestions?  Places to look?

5 Replies 5

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

So, the intention is to make the ASA act as a dhcp relay server for the clients to be able to get dhcp ip address from WLC. Do we have the dhcp relay configured?

Can you take following debugs:

debug dhcp event

debug dhcp packet

debug dhcp error

Also, share the relevant configuration from the ASA. 

If you can take wireshark captures from a client facing issues, please do that as well.

Regards,

Ajay

dhcprelay server X.X.X.X inside
dhcprelay server X.X.X.X inside
dhcprelay enable New_Handhelds
dhcprelay enable Laptops
dhcprelay enable Voice
dhcprelay enable Guest
dhcprelay enable Imptob-Corp
dhcprelay enable PLTHVAC
dhcprelay timeout 60

This is straight off the active firewall.  I had to back out so I don't have any captures.  The WLC is not acting as the DHCP server, we have dhcp for wireless going to windows servers.

Where is your DHCP Server located, inside or outside ASA ?

worth looking this document and understand DHCP relay with ASA

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/116265-configure-product-00.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It is on the inside.  Thanks.

when the request come in, check the trace logs is the DHCP request sent to DHCP Server ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card