cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcpfailover setroute: what is it used for, it works without using this

pweichmann
Level 1
Level 1

We use multiple context mode on FWSM and dhcp relay but never configured setroute and it works.

Does anybody know when to use this feature under what circumstances?

Step 4 (Optional) To change the first default router address in the packet sent from the DHCP server to the address of the security appliance interface, enter the following command:

hostname(config)# dhcprelay setroute interface_name

Pasted from <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/dhcp.html>

Why or why not should this be used?

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You only need this command if you would like to configure the FWSM interface as the default gateway for the DHCP client. Otherwise, normally DHCP server already provides default router as part of the DHCP lease, that is why it still works even though you do not configure this command.

Here is the command for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm41/command/reference/d2.html#wp1660196

Do you mean that with the setroute option I would not need to set option 3 (routers) on the DHCP server for this network?

Or is it mingling with the GIADDR (Gateway IP Address switched by relay)   0x00000000?

Can you elaborate a bit?

Many thanks.

If you would like to set the FWSM interface as the default route, then you would need to configure the "setroute" option.

So currently, is your DHCP server providing default router option with the FWSM interface as the default router, or it is something else which is the default router? If it is the FWSM interface then you do not have to configure the default router option.

The default setup that I have found in many companies is to always specify option 3 (routers) on the dhcp for the network the DHCP server is giving out the addresses.

I'm trying to understand how this option works and where it can be used, i.e.

• is it modifying option 3 or using the GIADDR,
  • would this be used if you want to point the clients to some other gateway than the DHCP Server sends in option 3?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: