cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does copy running-config also copies "pre shared key" on Cisco ASA ?

Asim Ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have two Cisco ASA 5500 firewalls, I want to copy same as it is configuration to the second ASA firewall. I want to know if "copy running-config" copies pre shared key also, so that when i paste my configuration my pre shared key will also be copied to the other device.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you plan to copy runn to notepad and paste to other device- copy config output of

more system:running-config. This provides you with all the preshared key in clear text form.

On the other hand, if you use tftp server- running config works fine.

hth

MS

thanks mvsheik.

I copied run conf to notepad, but i couldnt see the psk in clear text.

I pasted the run cont from notepad to other ASA , everything was copied, even password, that was set on 1st ASA, even on this 2nd ASA i can psk as asterisk .

i am not confident here if my psk is copied successfully or not.

Your pre shared keys were not copied successfully. You apparently did not understand the good advice that MS provided. copy running-config to notepad does not copy the pre shared keys but more system:running-config does include the pre shared keys in clear text and can be put into notepad and pasted into the other ASA.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: