cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does purchasing L-ASA5508-TA for a ASA5508-X with no support give me smartnet or the ability to download updates

bmaiwald
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a new 5508-X off amazon which did not have any support attached to it, I went to CDW and purchased L-ASA5508-TA which is Firepower and IPS, does that also include smartnet or the ability to download updates for the device or do I need to add an additional contract to maintain the latest firmware and updates?

3 Replies 3

From my understanding, if you purchase an ASA from Cisco without support you will receive access to download software that is within the version that you have purchased the ASA with.  So if you purchase an ASA with version 9.8.x then you will only be able to download software within the 9.8.x train.

Purchasing a license such as L-ASA5508-TA does not give you smartnet support.  Smartnet is a separate purchase.

Since you purchased your ASA from Amazon I am a little uncertain about your access to download software within the version you purchased the device with.  If the warranty is still valid I believe you just need to contact TAC and request access.  Remember that you will only be given access to software that the device was originally purchased with so if this is a second hand device you might only have access to older version than what is running on the device.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

The license you purchased won’t give you any access to Cisco Download page for OS upgrade. The smartnet for ASA-5508x should be CON-SNT-ASA5508K

When purchasing this smartnet, the contract support number should be associated to your Cisco account (CCO account). After this step, you will be able to download any OS updates/upgrades for your specific platform and more than that, you will also be able to open TAC case.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to the other replies...

The TA license entitles your ASA Firepower service module to get IPS updates (Security Intelligence, Geolocation database, Snort Rule Updates (SRU) and Vulnerability database (VDB)) for the term of the purchased license. You should have received the Protect+ Control license with the appliance. You need to apply that to use the IPS elements in your configuration. The IPS elements themselves are a right-to-use term subscription and do not require separate license registration or activation.

It does not entitle you to ASA software or Firepower software updates.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card