cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the ASA 5512-X require a separate HA license?

asdgasdf4sdfg
Level 1
Level 1

If you look at the data sheet for the 5512-X the High Availability section states "Not Supported; Active\Active or Active\Standby" while the ASA 5515-X states "Active\Active or Active\Standby".  What does "Not Supported" mean for the ASA 5512-X?  Does this mean HA does not work, or that I need to purchase an additional license to use the HA feature? 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/data_sheet_c78-701253.html

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The Configuration Guide for 8.4 / 8.6 lists the following under the Licensing Requirements for Active/Standby Failover

Licensing Requirements for Active/Standby Failover

The following table shows the licensing requirements for this feature:

Model
License Requirement

ASA 5505

Security Plus License. (Stateful failover is not supported).

ASA 5510, ASA 5512-X

Security Plus License.

All other models

Base License.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/ha_active_standby.html#wp1046838

For the Active/Active

Licensing Requirements for Active/Active Failover

Model
License Requirement

ASA 5505

No support.

ASA 5510, ASA 5512-X

Security Plus License.

All other models

Base License.

Source (Same document)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/ha_active_active.html#wp1046838

I think the table in the document you refer to means that the Base License does not support it but the Security Plus License enabled the use of both Active/Standby and Active/Active.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The Configuration Guide for 8.4 / 8.6 lists the following under the Licensing Requirements for Active/Standby Failover

Licensing Requirements for Active/Standby Failover

Model
License Requirement

ASA 5505

Security Plus License. (Stateful failover is not supported).

ASA 5510, ASA 5512-X

Security Plus License.

All other models

Base License.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/ha_active_standby.html#wp1046838

For the Active/Active

Licensing Requirements for Active/Active Failover

Model
License Requirement

ASA 5505

No support.

ASA 5510, ASA 5512-X

Security Plus License.

All other models

Base License.

Source (Same document)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/ha_active_active.html#wp1046838

I think the table in the document you refer to means that the Base License does not support it but the Security Plus License enabled the use of both Active/Standby and Active/Active.

- Jouni

Wow thanks a lot for the fast reply.  I was unable to find any bundles for this unit, so I assume the sec plus license (ASA5512-SEC-PL) must be purchased individually, for both units?  Do you know of a bundle and if it exists does it come with both units or do I have to buy the bundle for each unit?

Hi,

I checked a list I recently received from our provider and I can only see the the Security Plus License for ASA 5512-X listed separetely while for ASA5510 for example I can see a bundle with both ASA and Sec Plus license.

I cant give you 100% answer but according to the excel listing I got there would be no bundle which I guess would mean that you would have to get them all separately.

I guess it would be best to confirm this directly with the seller.

- Jouni

A client requested us to replace its 5510 for 5512 in HA scheme, so we need only one L-ASA5512-SEC-PL? need two? 

m.wilkinson
Level 1
Level 1

Whilst looking into the same issue, having found I needed to buy a SecPlus license for a pair of 5512-X firewalls recently, I can find no other SecPlus license on the Cisco price list for the "X" firewalls..

I am assuming now that any platform above 5512-X comes with the license installed based on the lack of a part number/price and the fact there is a lack of a "not supported" listing in the features on your linked page.

Can anybody confirm 100% if this assumption is correct?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

If I remember correctly the original ASA5500 series only had Sec Plus license for ASA5505 and ASA5510 and others didnt require any separate license to provide the capabilities that those licenses gave.

On the basis of that it would seem to me logical that the ASA5500-X series would follow the same pattern.

But again, I cant say this with 100% certainty.

- Jouni

jian jing
Level 1
Level 1

I also have some questions,

I want to know if I have order the ASA5512 with no security plus license. can I only order the specific license to upgrade supporting the HA feature? which specific SKU should I order?

You can order the 5512X on it's own or with as well as the Sec-Plus License. Cisco have not got around to bundling the 5512X & SecPlus license yet. They have announced EOL/EOS on the 5510 so I do not think it will be long.

Without the Sec Plus License, you cannot run high avaialability (Active/Active or Active/Standby).

The part numbers are:

ASA5512-K9ASA 5512-X with SW, 6GE Data, 1GE Mgmt, AC, 3DES/AES

L-ASA5512-SEC-PL=ASA 5512-X Sec. Plus Lic. w/ HA, Sec Ctxt, more VLAN + Conns

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much

Ditmar Tavares
Level 1
Level 1

is this part number  L-ASA5512-SEC-PL= the same for the 5515-X

if not, can you guys assis on looking for this part number?

You need ASA5512-SEC-PL license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: