cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Edge Firewalls...Routing protocol or No?

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I think there are difference of opinions out there, so I'd like to ask the question...Firewalls, specifically the edge firewalls, routing protocol or not?

In a scenario of:

L2 SW -> DMZ Server Farm   

|

|

ISP -> Router -> L2 SW -> Edge FW -> Core -> Core FW -> Server Agg Layer -> Server Farm.

So things I don't understand or have concerns on:

1. The ISP will run BGP between each other. So between the router and the Edge FW's I would think to run something like OSPF, if dynamic routing protocol would be chosen to run on the FW. In that space would you run public IP space or private IP space?

2. My core switches are Cat9ks not in a VSS (because it is not supported yet on my models), but also never will be. Rather using routing to decide failover and also leverage ECMP. What I struggle with is would you physically connect each Core switch to each FW in an HA pair Active/Standby? Or connect the core switches to the FW's on a 1 to 1 basis? Core 1 -> FW1 Core 2 -> FW2? My concern with this if a down stream core switch to the active FW fails the HA pair will failover when really there was nothing wrong with the active firewall. Maybe this is ok.

Thoughts?

18 Replies 18

Ill have to run OSPF from the Cat9k to the PAs, then PAs to the edge routers. I did something similar a few years back and made everything north of the firewalls area 1 and everything below area 0. I can't remember why I did it though. 

Ok perfect. If they're not in the same area, it will be easier to filter route distribution.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I assume that was it, it was slight different design and had many more "challenges" as it was a heavy PCI environment. 

Thanks for the conversation and input. 

You're welcome and glad I answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card