Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover ASA - What is "just active status"

anunes1987
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys!

I have a pair of ASA 5505 with failover , before it was active/standby and now appears as active/just active  ( that means that it's in active/active state??)

If yes what the command i should issue to move back to standby?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Amanda,

I hope you are doing great. I think you saw that Just active state when you did a show failover history. The state that you should really care about is the one that appears when you do a "show failover". The 2 main states on which a Unit can be is Active, Standby/Ready and Bulk sync if I am not mistaken. Be worry when a Unit becomes failed.

To know that everything is right, the the units should look Primary/Active Standby/Ready.

Hope this helps and if you have any furhter doubts regarding the failover, please feel free to post them over here.

Thank you.

Mike.

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jia Liu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 'just active' state is the first state the unit enters when becoming the active unit.  During this state, a message is sent to the peer alerting the peer that the unit is becoming active and the IP and MAC addresses are set for the interfaces.  This is a transient state.  How long did the status stay as 'just active'?  Did it go back to 'active/standby'?

Namit Agarwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amanda,

Could you please paste the output of the following commands on the ASA

show failover

show failover history

show failover state

Thanks,

Namit

Here is the link that talks about "just active"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/command/reference/s3.html#wp1474400

Just Active

The first state the unit enters when becoming the active unit. During  this state a message is sent to the peer alerting the peer that the unit  is becoming active and the IP and MAC addresses are set for the  interfaces. This is a transient state.

-KS

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Amanda,

I hope you are doing great. I think you saw that Just active state when you did a show failover history. The state that you should really care about is the one that appears when you do a "show failover". The 2 main states on which a Unit can be is Active, Standby/Ready and Bulk sync if I am not mistaken. Be worry when a Unit becomes failed.

To know that everything is right, the the units should look Primary/Active Standby/Ready.

Hope this helps and if you have any furhter doubts regarding the failover, please feel free to post them over here.

Thank you.

Mike.

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card