Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower and smartnet features on ASA5545-x

tnkurunziza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have a CISCO ASA5545-x. I need to purchase the Firepower and smartnet features. I would like to know if these feautures need a Hardware module to be placed into the FW or if they need only SW to be loaded in the FW. Kindly let me know your idea about that. Your answer will be of high importance to me. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your 5545-X "show inventory" does not show any  SSDs are present. Those appliance require 2 SSDs each.

License #1 for AVC is also known as "Control + Protect" it is free and required (mandatory).

#2-4 are each required for those respective features. If you don't need to use the features then you don't need the licenses.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

5545-X isn't going end of support next year. I don't suggest investing in
it.

But FYI, you need to buy SSDs to be installed in the appliance in addition
to license and firepower software

Thank you for your response. What do you want to mean by SSDs?

And also please can you share with me the cisco ASA5545-x equipment life cycle? when it will be end support?

Below are the SW that are currently running on my ASA5545-x FW:

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.6(1)2
Device Manager Version 6.6(1)

Kindly let me know what is the SSDs? The End of Life and the End of Sale  for my FW. I didnt find by myself those information on the cisco web support  for these  SWs that running on my FW. Thank you in advance. 

SSD is a Solid State Drive. "show inventory" will tell you if you have an SSD installed on your appliance(s). They are not a standard part on all 5545-X orders so your hardware may or may not have them. If you don't have them then they would need to be ordered along with the necessary licenses for Firepower. (An SSD is a prerequisite for installing a Firepower service module. Even though the module itself is technically software, it requires the SSD to provide adequate storage on the appliance.)

The ASA 5545-X was introduced back around 2012. There is no end of sales announcement for it (yet), but it is getting relatively old compared to typical product life. It would not be surprising to see an end of sales announced in the coming year or so. Cisco policy is usually to continue support for hardware for 5 years past end of sales. There are however newer and more capable products (such as Firepower 2100 series) that will have a longer life ahead of them as they are much earlier in their overall timeline.

Thank you for your quick response.
please below is the result of show inventory
FW1# show inventory
Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5545-X with SW, 8 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt"
PID: ASA5545 , VID: V02 , SN: FGL1748413X

Name: "power supply 1", DESCR: "ASA 5545-X/5555-X AC Power Supply"
PID: ASA-PWR-AC , VID: N/A , SN: 39S258

Name: "power supply 2", DESCR: ""
PID: , VID: N/A , SN:

FW1#

Please let me know whether SSDs are available or not.

As I know the FIREPOWER SW allow below the 4 features:
1. Application Visibility and Control (AVC)
2. Next Generation IPS (NGIPS) Firepower (as an option),
3. Cisco® AMP (Advanced Malware Protection)
4. and the URL filtering.

Would you let me know which licenses are mandatory among the 4 features? And also which licenses need to be purchased?

and in last, let me know as well how many SSDs should be ordered for each FIREPOWER SW according to the result of show inventory command?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Your 5545-X "show inventory" does not show any  SSDs are present. Those appliance require 2 SSDs each.

License #1 for AVC is also known as "Control + Protect" it is free and required (mandatory).

#2-4 are each required for those respective features. If you don't need to use the features then you don't need the licenses.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card