cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall is Denies Source IP's That Are Not on my network

errMsg
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at the logs on my firewall and have noticed that the source IP is not always an address on my LAN.  How is it that source IP's are not on my LAN?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on what interface you looking, if you looking outside the source address can be anything,

to give more clarity can you show us your error log to understand better, rather assuming.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Here is a screenshot of the logs im seeing...i blacked out my external IP

That is normal, and it proves your FW working, dropping unnecessary traffic on the outside interface. ( correct me the IP blacked out was public IP configured outside interface ?)

BB

Yes, that is my WAN interface. Is there a way to stop my router from routing other peoples traffic or is that just the nature of the router.  I noticed that some ips have a high risk rating when I look them up.  👀 

As long you allowing right traffic and right NAT translation inside to outside and outside to inside.

rest will be blocked. but we are not sure how your setup and configuration, i have provided input based on the screen shot

you need more granular look you need to provide correct information of the IP and your configuration for validation.

BB

This is not uncommon when there are misconfigurations in the network. It could be a wrong IP-config on a PC or a wrong NAT inside the network. Or even a user willingly spoofing other addresses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card