Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall Software Update Access

alsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I purchased ASA Firewall from eBay. The device was advertised as "new, but open box". When I tried to download the OS for the device to updated it I was faced with the "Service Contract Required" pop-up window. I called up Cisco TAC and gave them the device's serial number. They said that the firewall has a service contract but not under my company's name. I talked to the seller on eBay. He denied that he used it but said that he procured it through a supplier who might have bought it from a previous owner who can't be located.

Since the item was purchased as new, but as it turned out it's used, I am entitled to return the device for a full refund. However, due to various factors, I prefer to keep the firewall even if it's slightly used if it can be updated. So, would it be possible to transfer the service contract in this case? If not, then what's the best way to get the updates for the firewall? Do I need to purchase a new service contract?

Thank you very much.

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe you have option to transfer here. contact license team and explain the situation, they may suggest better.

or contact local SE or cisco Partner for smartnet contract.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Balaji,

Thank you very much for your helpful followup. I replaced the firewall with another unit that does not have a service contract on it. I called Cisco TAC again who verified that the serial is clean. They indicated that I can buy a simple download subscription contract from a Cisco partner if I only need to download the update files for unit. They didn't give me a part number for that contract, though. They said to search a partner using Cisco partner locator tool and compare offers. Since location doesn't matter to me, can you please suggest online Cisco partners that offer good pricing on Cisco contracts and prompt in following up to inquiries?

Hello,

How can I find the part number of ASA-5555 file download subscription contract?

Thank you.

Sugges to contact local partner who can help you buy that.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

There are multiple part numbers one can use that result in entitlement for ASA software downloads. They vary because they also include hardware and TAC support and are available for varying terms (length of contract), level of support (next business day, 4 hours, on site support etc.) and fulfillment methods (Cisco vs. partner). that's why we usually recommend contacting a partner instead of just getting some part number here.

That said, the most basic is 8 hours/day, 5 days per week next business day Smartnet (SNT) support (8X5XNBD) for a one year term. The part number and description would be:

CON-SNT-A55K9
SNTC-8X5XNBD ASA 5555-X with SW,

It's probably a lot to pay since you purchased via eBay - the list price is US$3086.59 for one year.

Dear Marvin,

Thank you very much for the elaborate followup. As you indicated, the SMARTNet contract you suggested is very expensive and I don't need all what it offers. I only need to download the update files. I was told by Cisco support that I can get a subscription for downloading OS files only, but he didn't have the part number for that. He said that a Cisco partner would be able to look up the appropriate number for that. I emailed the local Cisco partner few days ago but didn't get an answer yet. So is there such thing as "download only service contract"? what is its part number if it exists? Most of the expense of the contract you suggested goes towards the 8 hours/day, 5 days per week support. I don't need that part at all. I can post my technical questions in this generous forum and search for answers here and elsewhere on the web.

Best regards.

You're welcome.

I've heard rumor of that "software only" type of support; but in 8 years working as a partner engineer (and more years than that as a customer) I've never actually seen anyone successfully demonstrate the part number for such or report that they've purchased it.

I found a part number (R-ASA-SW-UPGRADE) for one-time software upgrade on google search:

https://cisco.ict-hardware.com/product/escat-security-pn-r-asa-sw-upgrade/

Would that be what tech support meant? How does it work? Enable the download for the software for one day then they disable it after I download?

If they have part number for one-time software upgrade then perhaps they have one for multiple-times software upgrade?

I emailed ICT but no reply yet.

Ah OK - good find. I just checked in the Cisco ordering system and that is a legitimate part number.

I've never known anyone to try it though. I doubt Cisco will make it any cheaper to buy it for some extended period like a year as they really want to sell you the full support contract.

Let us know if you have any success.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card