Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC 6.2.2 with Firepower 2120 6.2.2 anti-replay changes

rmorenobb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have a few production Site to Site VPN Peers, one of these peers, the vendor is requesting if we can adjust our window size to 1024. 

I found this bug, that is has a workaround for flexconfig, but I'm curious if you can apply that to only the one Peer, and not globally?  Perhaps I need to create a new policy map for this peer, and use Flexconfig to adjust the window size of only that peer with that associated policy map? 

Or if it is a global option only, what I should be aware of, i.e., how will that change effect the other peers?

I found the bug for this (link below), no software releases resolve the bug, so the flex config is the only work around, that I can find. 

Any ideas? 

CSCvg87675 - FTD VPN FMC should have an option to customize the IPSec Anti-Replay Window size

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvg87675/?rfs=iqvred

2 Replies 2

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The setting is global, just like it is on the ASA. There is no way to set this on a per peer basis. 

I do not think increasing the window has a big effect on security. I feel that 64 packets is too small a window to begin with, especially when you think of ISP's providing multiple paths to reach one destination. Changing this will not affect any other peers as this is a local security feature. Increasing it to 1024 rather than disabling it completely should provide adequate security from replay attacks. 

Thanks! I've been reading up on any effects, and haven't seen anything that could pose an issue, so I agree. The only piece I don't like with the FMC/FTDs is having to make the adjustment via flexconfig.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card