Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Firewalls Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast

FPR1000 The true ASA 5505 Replacement

Cisco has FINALLY heard us!  The purveyors and Champions of the Small to medium business markets, and produced the first match to the Cisco ASA5505.  First they gave us the 5506 and we were all upset about the fact that the ports were NOT switched. Well with this we can run ASA and FTD code, join it to FMC, and comming in 6.5 code we can get 650Mbps of IPS traffic throughput on this baby!  This fills a HUGE hole in the market.  I'm so happy to this this.  What are your thoughts???

FPR1000.jpg

The secret to succeeding at technology is to say yes you can, and to not be afraid of change. Forget the words, "That's how we always do it"
5 REPLIES 5
Hall of Fame Master

Re: FPR1000 The true ASA 5505 Replacement

Yes this new appliance appears to be very promising. The inclusion of PoE certainly addresses a lot of use cases for small offices and remote sites.

We're still waiting for full details and pricing but for now I'm (cautiously) optimistic.

Enthusiast

Cautiously optimistic? I'm extatic, I mean it will work, but im sure it won't come in at the same price point point as the 5505 or 5506.
The secret to succeeding at technology is to say yes you can, and to not be afraid of change. Forget the words, "That's how we always do it"
Hall of Fame Master

Well not all features may not be available in the first release.

Pricing may make it 3x the cost of an ASA 5505 thus putting it out of reach for many small office users or home labs.

Bugs may need to be worked out.

etc.

All of those and more (like >35 years experience in the security industry) are why I temper my enthusiasm with caution.

Enthusiast

Hmmm, you make very valid points...I'm tempered now. Lol
VIP Advisor

Also note when Cisco says it can run the ASA code it has a little asterisk - not supported at this time.