cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 2110: Delete Files Through CLI

keithyboy500
Level 1
Level 1

Could anyone advise on how to delete old update files on a 2110 FTD appliance through the CLI? I can browse to the /var/sf/updates directory but there isn't a delete command. I know I'm probably just missing something simple here.

I used the 'Expert' mode to get to the directory and can see the files using 'dir'.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alex_dufresne
Level 1
Level 1

The "expert" mode opens up a Linux "sh" shell. In that case, common Linux commands work.

1. You'll first want to list the contents of the directory using "ls -lh" --> this will show you the access rights and the file sizes.
  2. Then, you'll notice that the file owner is "root", so please use "sudo" before your deletion command
  3. Finally, execute "sudo rm [filename]" in order to delete a file. the default "admin" user should have superuser rights, so just enter your login password and the command should execute correctly.

Be very careful with what you delete, as this shell has system access to your filesystem..

Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

alex_dufresne
Level 1
Level 1

The "expert" mode opens up a Linux "sh" shell. In that case, common Linux commands work.

1. You'll first want to list the contents of the directory using "ls -lh" --> this will show you the access rights and the file sizes.
  2. Then, you'll notice that the file owner is "root", so please use "sudo" before your deletion command
  3. Finally, execute "sudo rm [filename]" in order to delete a file. the default "admin" user should have superuser rights, so just enter your login password and the command should execute correctly.

Be very careful with what you delete, as this shell has system access to your filesystem..

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I have now followed your instructions and have deleted the old update files. I'm a bit of a beginner with the CLI commands, so the help is much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card