Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Help

gdrandles
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I am new to using a FWSM.  I am familiar with the PIX and ASA's.  We have two Cisco 6509's with a FWSM installed in both.  Our network is shown in the diagram.  We use Blue Coat Packetshapers and Barracuda Proxy appliances.  I plan on setting up HSRP on both 6509's for traffic coming from our ISP Cisco 2811's as well as use HSRP for our DMZ and internal network.  I would like to setup the firewalls for statefull failover.  We will be using PAT for our internal users and one-to-one static NAT for our DMZ.  Here are my questions:

Is it better to setup the firewall's as transparent or routed?

Since the firewall is built into the switch, how do I insert the Barracuda proxies?

I can configure them as transparent or routed proxies.

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

brquinn
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the diagram, it's not really clear how the Barracuda proxies are put in place. It looks like the packetshapers are already bridging in-line. Do you want the FWSMS to also be bridging between the same two L3 hops?

Looking at your diagram, the FWSM could easily be the default gateway for your 10.1.1.0/25 and 10.1.2.0/25 networks. Both configurations could work, but I think it is generally easier to troubleshoot L3 adjacencies than L2. Then again, changing around your routing topology can be more of a burden.

Regardless which setup you choose, I would avoid any situation which places your hosts on a subnet with more than one gateway/router. For example, do NOT do this:

Router (.254) --- hosts (.2-.253) --- FWSM (.1)

OR

RouterA (.254) --- hosts (.2-.253) --- vlan10--FWSM--vlan20 --- RouterB (.1)

Asymmetric routing with the FWSM will break the stateful inspections and cause your traffic to fail.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

Brenden,

The Barracuda proxies have not been connected to the network because I am unclear where or how to attach them.  This network is also being built and currently has no users so I can configure whatever is needed.  In the past when I used an ASA it was easy to connect a proxy between the ASA and the inside router.  The inside router would then be the gateway for the users.

Users --> GW --> Proxy --> ASA --> BC Packetshaper --> ISP

Because the FWSM is not a physically seperate device, I do not understand how to setup the same logical topology or data flow.  I was thinking I create VLAN 100 and connect the LAN side of the proxy.  Point the default route to the LAN IP of the proxy.  Create VLAN 101 and FW vlan-group 1 101 and assign this the nameif "inside".  Point the WAN side of the proxy to the VLAN 101 IP as the default route.  I would then have to figure out how to setup HSRP on the outside to connect the "outside" FW VLAN to the ISP.  I would rather place the Proxy in transparent mode and not require it to do any routing.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card