Views
Helpful
Replies

Generate Crypto Key for SSH on ASA

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have access to a couple of ASA firewalls with only ASDM access to all. I have tried to SSH to them but unable to do so despite having the correct configuration, None of the firewalls currently have a crypto key generated (i used "show crypto key generate rsa mypubkey" using cli option in asdm).

Previously I have always generated a crypto key pair when configuring an ASA from scratch. My question is will generating a crypto key using "crypto key generate rsa mod 2048" using the cli option in asdm break anything as currently there is no crypto key. The ASAs do have VPNs configured. Because it is a live environment, I just want to ensure it will be as simple as running the command and getting ssh access to the firewalls.

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It won't affect anything except your ability to access via ssh. You should add "noconfirm" if you do it from ASDM to skip the interactive prompting.

You could also temporarily allow telnet, do it from the cli and then disable telnet.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It won't affect anything except your ability to access via ssh. You should add "noconfirm" if you do it from ASDM to skip the interactive prompting.

You could also temporarily allow telnet, do it from the cli and then disable telnet.

Thnakyou Marvin, I will do it via ASDM using no confirm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: