cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Having trouble matching Old PIX and new ASA configs

KingPrawns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've recently upgraded my old firewall from a PIX to an ASA5505 and have been trying to match up the configuration settings to no avail.

First problem I have is that I can't ping the new firewall on it's inside interface, despite having "icmp permit any inside" in the running config.

Secondly, the server I have on there ("Sar") can't connect out to the internet.

I've included the ASA's running config incase anybody can see if something stands out. I have a feeling it's either not letting anything onto the inside interface, or there is no nat going on.

Lastly (and possibly relevant), the firewall is actually going at the end of a vlan, which is different to the firewall's inside vlan number. I don't know if this is actually the problem because the server can't connect out even if connected directly into the firewall.

Cheers,

32 Replies 32

Hi Wez,

Thanks for the data, as you can see in the captures, as soon as the firewall sends a request for the connection, the server is sending a Reset for it, so I woudl suggest you to troubleshoot why the server is sending a reset. Ceck if any firewall on the server is blocking the connection. Try putting an exception for the port 80.

S -------> SYN      (initial connection request)

R -------> Reset

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I think I've fixed it!

The captures were returning with it all clear, so I did some digging and it looks like there was an entry in the registry for the old ip address that stopped IIS from returning any sites.

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Pa rameters\ListenOnlyList in case anyone else has the problem.)

Once again, much appreciated!

Hey thats great!!!!!!!! Thanks for the rating

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card