Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How big can a DHCP pool be?

Greetings, 

I have a few ASA-5545-X's running 9.9.1(3) and we are about to add somewhere in the realm of 600+ anyconnect active connections. So, I'm thinking about DHCP pool sizing which I just want to build a /22 network. Can the community share their experience and/or insight in constructing such a large DHCP pool? Now I'm bearing in mind that the ASA is a firewall and thus does not really inherit the same behavior you would observe on a traditional  switched VLAN. 

Thanks for your feedback

2 Replies 2

Hi

Until recently, pool was limitted to 254 address. You probably can confirm that but try to add a larger pool.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

mdussana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are using an external DHCP server, the nextwork scope has no limitation on the firewall, the LOCAL pool does have a limitation in memory allocation, but is still pretty big (Bigger than the allowed concurrent SSL connections on the firewall).

The issue comes when you want to use the ASA as the DHCP server for local hosts, depending on license and OS version it could be limited to 128 or 256 addresses.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: