Views
Helpful
Replies

How can a static route just disappear?

BE_IT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We had an issue with our ASA55065X this evening where our static route was lost, and subsequently our company lost Internet connectivity.  A technician was working on getting AnyConnect AAA Authentication restored when he claims that suddenly the internet connection was lost.  He was doing all the work through the ASDM, so I'm wondering if it's possible that somehow in a configuration template launched by ASDM, that a "no route " command was issued.  It's just not making any sense to me how this could have happened.  Your input is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The next hop of a static route must be directly connected to an active interface and if the interface went down or IP changed etc then this static route may not appear in the routing table. 

Have you verified that is it deleted from the running-configuration or only from the routing table?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

All I know is that when I did show conf, it wasn't in there.  But when I added it back in via the command line. it was back up again.

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1

This is why logging is important. It is more than likely if it was missing from the config that something they did caused it to be removed. I doubt it was any kind of bug or error, more likely to be human error.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card