Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine which NAT policy is being used

Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Good day;

I was going through my firewall that I was asked to managed, there are 4 different NAT statements so was testing to see which statement is active or not.  when I do a show xlate it says I am using a PAT from the NAT table called INSIDE,OUTSIDE.  I checked the table and I do have one but when I search for my subnet that my workstation is on I do not see a statement that NATs my IP to the outside interface of the firewall.  I went ahead and check the other 3 and nothing pulls up, am I missing something??

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Warren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you're right. This is a default dynamic NAT to nat inside hosts accessing internet.

You can try the packet-tracer command, it could also help to see nat statement, acl, routing,...

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

To see which nat your traffic is taking, you can use the command packet-tracer.
It will show you the complete flow for a particular traffic including the nat statement.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hmm never thought of that I think I will try that but 

I believe I found the answer I went down further in the config and found this

object network obj_any

nat (INSIDE,OUTSIDE) dynamic interface

This is what is NATTing my internal network to my outside interface of my firewall, I verified this by doing a

FW-CHOF-INET1# sh nat object obj_any detai

Auto NAT Policies (Section 2)

14 (INSIDE) to (OUTSIDE) source dynamic obj_any interface 

translate_hits = 465017372, untranslate_hits = 46656920

Source - Origin: 0.0.0.0/0, Translated: XXXX.XXXX.XXX.XXXX

I attempted to connect to something on the internet and did the following

sh xlate | incl XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX

UDP PAT from INSIDE: XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX/39605 to OUTSIDE: XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX/39605 flags ri idle 0:00:03 timeout 0:00:30

This matches up with the outside interface IP that is being used 

sorry I should of checked the whole config before posting but hopefully this helps someone else otherwise sorry for wasting bandwidth.

Yes you're right. This is a default dynamic NAT to nat inside hosts accessing internet.

You can try the packet-tracer command, it could also help to see nat statement, acl, routing,...

Thanks
Francesco

Just tried packet tracer like you said and that was a lot easier than going over the config manually,

it pointed to the policy it was using and everything so i verified what I found.  Thank you Francesco 

for the tip never thought of using packet tracer, matter of fact this is my first time I ever used it.

Thank you agian Sir for your help!!!!!

You're welcome.
The Cisco Community is here to help!

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card