cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to generate specific traffic types for testing?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

Is there a good tool or tools (Windows-based) for generating and testing traffic through specific ports to a remote host?  I know what I am asking for but not sure how to put it into the right words, so here' s an example.  Normally in a situation where if I set up a router with some NAT and a zone firewall, and want to test whether the outside world can get to a web server internally, I would attach a real web server to the inside interface, set up the rules and policies to reach it, and then test from a laptop or PC attached in some way to the outside (Internet) inteface. 

But I don't always have a web server to plug in, and this says nothing about other protocols I'd want to test.  For example ntp protocol on udp 123. 

So ideally I would take two laptops and install the testing tool on each, plug one into the LAN and the other to the outside thus simuluating some random Internet host, and then they can talk to each other over any port or protocol they allow for and show the results. 

Not sure why I can't seem to articulate this very well today but I hope I'm getting the idea across.  I'm not looking for a port scanner or something but rather a tool for testing end-to-end success of communication between two systems over an intermediiary device (router), over certain ports or protocols. 

Thank you!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Please check these traffic generators:

Generating Traffic With Iperf

Other Internet Traffic Generators

HTH.

Portu.

Please rate any helpful posts

Message was edited by: Javier Portuguez

View solution in original post

Hi,

I've used Nmap and Superscan for penetration tests.

Superscan is Windows based.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Please check these traffic generators:

Generating Traffic With Iperf

Other Internet Traffic Generators

HTH.

Portu.

Please rate any helpful posts

Message was edited by: Javier Portuguez

I looked over quite a few in there, would still need to download and test.  Seems there are a lot of home grown tools by university engineers out there

Unfortunately iperf isn't Windows-based which is what I need for this scenario but it does look very intreesting in itself.

I did find that nmap has nping which employs an echo responder so hopefully it can do more than just icmp.  Nonetheless that whole list has very interesting tools which I'll review in more detail when time permits.

Thank you! 

Great

Please mark this post as answered and rate any helpful answer.

Portu.

Have a nice weekend.

Thanks, you too. 

Hi,

I've used Nmap and Superscan for penetration tests.

Superscan is Windows based.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Superscan seems interesting.  Oddly, McAfee has it for download on their site.  Anyway, to those reading this thread months or years down the road, if running XP SP2 os greater, SuperScan will have problems unless you stop the SharedAccess service, so run

net stop SharedAccess. 

Just somethign I read at the McAfee site.  Thanks for the info John. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card