Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to get bandwidth Monitoring access from asa Firewall 5512

how to get bandwidth Monitoring access from asa Firewall 5512.Kindly help  me with that concept.

I can check the top 10 users who are using bandwidth but not managed 

13 Replies 13

James Clifford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I dont totally understand your question but Netflow is the right thing to monitor traffic rates with source and destination IP's

Check this link out for it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6113

Thanks

James

Clifford Network Solutions

http://tiny.cc/jimjclifford

Hi James,

I need to get bandwidth monitoring tool which uses snmp protocol or like that,

As well kindly send me the link of net flow software name and link which you are refering.

If possible send me the open source netflow which can be work with Asa 5512 v9.0.1.

See if this is what you're after:

http://www.networkmanagementsoftware.com/5-free-netflow-analyzer-tools-for-windows/

Hi, 

I have download solarwinds as well download manage engine and i hope they both are free for lifetime as well no hidden features like but kindly help me how i can get data or how should i start working from beginner level for net flow app. Kindly help with this i would be very much glad and thank you in advance. 

james.tucker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Solarwinds is definatly not free for life, not sure about ManageEngine though. Personally for small deployments I have found PRTG Network Monitor to be an excellent started tool that, after the 30 day one month unlimited trial will continue to work but with just 100 sensors (way more than you need for 1 firewall!)

It has both SNMP for general bandwidth monitoring and NetFlow sensors for more specific information such as top ten users. 

See the attachment for an example.

Experience wise, PRTG sucks as netflow monitoring. Imagine, we have multiple devices here that support netflow, note that we do not have any netflow configuration on the devices, not one. and PRTG displays freaking data on Netflow, hahaha

and no, this is not a bug since we have consulted the vendor of the devices, and we did try evaluation on Solariwnds, SOlarwinds reports better than PRTG>

Though the best thing about this one is the free 10 sensors.

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

The best thing that you can get out of the ASA is:

1. Interface bandwidth monotring through ASDM
    -Displays the current usage(bps) on an interface
    -Simply go to Monitoring Tab->Interfaces Graph->Select desired interface and graph

2. A very limited top 10 list of end-points with highest bandwidth in the Home Tab Dashboards

If you want granular, well then you need a 3rd party software for that.
Solarwinds NPM+NTA(NetFlow Traffic Analyzer) is one good example

You can do trial (30 days) 

Heh, can't really argue with using the ADSM for a quick 'n dirty view of whats going on on the ASA, no additional config needed and no 3rd party tools. You forget there is some value in that when you are 100% CLI! 

When it comes to ASA, it is always good to balance between ASDM and CLI
You get a better view on the access-rules you have configured, and better monitoring as well since it is able to at least show you historical data even if its just 10minutes or so.

HI,

I think you are not getting my question,Kindly tell me the way to divide total 30mbps bandwidth into chunks of 10-10-10 mbps that i can use as per my convenience.

I have two cisco devices asa firewall 5512 and SG-300, if any product can help me for solving the purpose,it would be a wonderfull service for from your end.

haha oh okay, you can do that on the ASA, using the service Policy Rules, QoS Feature

Using ASDM, go to Configuration Tab->Firewall->Service Policy Rule
It's all in there, just configure:
1. Source and Destination Networks
2. The QoS Tab  - this is where you police/control the traffic 

Jerry Paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can use Netflow-9 for monitoring traffic of ASA Firewall 5512.

Dear Jerry,

Kindly send me the link for net-flow-9 ,which is open source as well compatible with asa firewall 5512.

Please reply soon, waiting for your reply and thanx in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card