cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to NAT Outside Hosts with Inside Subnet when accessing resource from Outside

kaustav.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how can I NAT the source IP address of Outside hosts in the ASA when they try to access a router  located in the Inside network so that I do not have to put a route pointing back for those Outside subnet's in the router.

So what I have done till now :

|            | 200.200.200.100                                   200.200.200.3                  cloud

Router -----------  |   ASA |--------------------------------------------------------------  Internet Router ---------------------  Outside client ( 144.x.x.x)

10.0.0.5      .100  |            |

Static NAT       nat(Inside,Outside) source static 10.0.0.5 200.200.200.100

access-list <Client Name> extended permit tcp 144.x.x.x 255.x.x.x  10.0.0.5

access-group <Client Name> in interface Outside

I dont want to put a reverse static route in Inside router for 144.x.x.x next hop 10.0.0.100 (ASA Inside)

so when the packet from outside comes in  the 144.x.x.x needs to be replaced by a 10.0.0.x IP

The code which i am running is 8.4 and i am getting lost in the documentation.

Any help highly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kyle Fine
Level 1
Level 1

Instead of creating a static route for all traffic you could create a route map which only applies to traffic sourced from the router (probably a loop back interface) going to the 144.0.0.0/8. It sounds like what your trying to do is get around the fact that you're doing asymmetric routing. Unless there's some IPSEC site to site VPN need for outside to inside natting I never configure things this way.

I suppose something like the following may work the way you want but haven't tried it before.

object network outside_router_natted_ip

host 2200.200.200.100

object network inside_router_ip

host 10.0.0.5

nat (inside,outside) static outside_router_natted_ip

object network 144.x.x.x_hosts

subnet 144.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

nat (ouside,inside) dynamic interface

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Kyle Fine
Level 1
Level 1

Instead of creating a static route for all traffic you could create a route map which only applies to traffic sourced from the router (probably a loop back interface) going to the 144.0.0.0/8. It sounds like what your trying to do is get around the fact that you're doing asymmetric routing. Unless there's some IPSEC site to site VPN need for outside to inside natting I never configure things this way.

I suppose something like the following may work the way you want but haven't tried it before.

object network outside_router_natted_ip

host 2200.200.200.100

object network inside_router_ip

host 10.0.0.5

nat (inside,outside) static outside_router_natted_ip

object network 144.x.x.x_hosts

subnet 144.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

nat (ouside,inside) dynamic interface

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card