Views
Helpful
Replies

how to sync AAA users with local snmp cache on ASA firewalls for snmp version 3

ssheorai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have tacacs configured for central authentication to my ASA 5585 (8.4.2) firewalls. Now I want my polling server to use same credential for ssh and other snmp polling operations, how do I do that without configuring any local snmp v3 user on the box. Please let me know if this is possible on ASA boxes. I know its possible on Nexus 7000 and nexus 5500 switches using a hidden command as below

snmp-sync-password <username> <pass> <host_ip>

for nexus switches, the polling server will use TACACs credentials for SSH and then push the above command on the switch. This will make the user credential synchronize in the local snmp user cache for 1 hr and the user can be seen when we execute the 'show snmp user'command.

So is there a way to do the same for ASA firewalls and from which image version as I have 8.4.2 version running on my Customer's boxes.

Any help would be highly appreciated else I will have to go on with snmp v2 only. :( 

Also do we have separate RO and RW community strings on ASA for polling as I could only find a single option to just configure a community string

My mail id: ssheorai@cisco.com

1 Reply 1

Here is configuration guide to configure SNMP on ASA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/monitor.html.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card