cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP ASA 5505 and DSCP 46

Piotr Kowalczyk
Level 1
Level 1

Just wander if somebody could help me to find answer for my problem. I mark IP packets on device connected (laptop’s NIC) to ASA 5505 with DSCP 46 – so packet which ender switch is marked with Expected Forwarding value. Do I need to do anything else to make sure this packet will be prioritized and send out as soon as possible or it will work automatically? Will packed has the same DSCP value when exit AP or I have to mark it again on the device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes , you can normally should add additional configuration on the ASA device to increase the priority for this traffic using the commands listed in this document which i referred earlier.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

ASA device by default will preserve these bits:-

DSCP and DiffServ Preservation

DSCP markings are preserved on all traffic passing through the ASA.

The ASA does not locally mark/remark any classified traffic, but it honors the Expedited Forwarding (EF) DSCP bits of every packet to determine if it requires "priority" handling and will direct those packets to the LLQ.

Refer:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/conns_qos.html#wp1066568

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Vibhor,

Thank you for your reply. 

I understand the ASA will preserve marking but will it add automatically priority on itself? I mean, do I need to configure any policy or it will automatically transfer packets with DSCP 46 as first?

Hi,

Yes , you can normally should add additional configuration on the ASA device to increase the priority for this traffic using the commands listed in this document which i referred earlier.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card