cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICMP Inspection and Extended Access-List

tjreeddoc
Level 1
Level 1

I need a little help clarifying the need for an Extended Access-list when ICMP Inspect is enabled on an ASA.  From reading various documents such as the following (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/pix-500-series-security-appliances/15246-31.html), I CAN allow ICMP through my ASA using an extended access-list or enabling ICMP Inspection in the Modular Policy Framework.  Is that true?  I only NEED an Extended Access-list or enable ICMP Inspection? I do not need both?  Or is it best practice to do both?

1. What does the ASA do to a PING from a host on the inside interface (Security 100) to host on the outside interface (Security 0) when ICMP Inspection is enabled with the following commands:

policy-map global_policy

class inspection_default

inspect_icmp

However, the following commands are NOT placed on the inbound Extended Access-list of the outside interface:

access-list inbound permit icmp any any echo-reply

access-list inbound permit icmp any any source-quench

access-list inbound permit icmp any any unreachable 

access-list inbound permit icmp any any time-exceeded

access-group inbound in interface outside

Will the PING complete?

Thank you,

T.J.

1 Reply 1

ditrizna1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, T.J.

If problem is still actual, I can answer you this question.

Let's see situation without ICMP inspection enabled:

The Cisco ASA will allow ICMP packets only in case if ACL entry exist on interface, where packet goes in. If we're speaking about ping, then ACL rules must allow packets in both directions.

In case with ICMP inspection, with ACL entry you should allow only request packets, replies will be allowed based on ICMP inspection created connection.

Speaking about your particular example with different security levels - with default ACL rule, that allow traffic from higher interface to lower - NO, you can do not enter that rules you described, and as you'll have successful ping.

If you deleted this rule and administrate allowed traffic manually, then YES, you must allow ICMP requests to have successful ping.

P.S. It's not a good practice to leave that default rule, which allow traffic from higher sec.lvl. to lower.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card