cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

if ASA5525 can work under ASDM7.0(1) if ASA8.6(1)2 installed?

fadimabrouk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco,

can somebody know if ASA5525 with ASA8.6(1)2 can be browsed using ASDM7.0(1), as currently i'm running ASDM6.6(1)

if it will work, could you please share a document with me how to do the upgrade using GUI screen

Thank you

Regards,

8 Replies 8

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Atleast the software download section says this for the ASDM software you are referring to

Description:Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager for ASA 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, and 9.0.
Release:7.0.1
Release Date:29/Oct/2012
File Name:asdm-701.bin

While the ASDM 6.6(1) lists only 8.6

By that logic it would seem that you would have to have ASA software level 9.0 to be able to use a newer ASDM.

- Jouni

Thanx Jouni

Jouni,

i would like to use ASDM for upgrading the ASA and ASDM, so which one i need to upgrade first, i don't have access to CL at the moment.

Appreciate if you could share some Cisco Document

Thanx

Hi,

I think the following documentation provides the guide to upgrading the software through ASDM

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/asdm64/configuration_guide/admin_swconfig.html

I would imagine if the newer ASDM versions require new ASA software you could then have to upgrade the actual ASA OS first and after its updated and booted to new software you would need to do the same for the ASDM as the ASA would now have an OS supporting the new ASDM image.

Go through the Release notes for the new software to see the changes introduced in any of the new softwares.

- Jouni

thanks Jouni

it's done

successfully upgraded

Jouni,

Newer ASDM is backward compatible with quite a few releases of ASA software. See the Compatibility Matrix - it tells us Cisco recommends the latest ASDM 7.1(1) for ASA as far back as 8.0.

When you upgrade your appliance to new ASA software, it requires (and Cisco recommends) new ASDM to take advantage of new features. However it will work even with older ASDM (to a point).

Hi,

I did a quick check of that document and the actual download page for the ASDM software and it seemed to me that for 8.6 software the only compatible ASDM is the 6.6(1). The linked site does state also this exact ASDM software level but doesnt state "and later" or anything similiar.

Also the software download page says ASDM 6.6 only for 8.6 ASA software and 8.6 is missing from the 7.x ASDM software listing like in the above table.

Might have missed something though as I only check the mentioned 2 things. Personally I have not handled the new X -series yet which might be another reason . We do have 5585-X but it cant be really compared. I think 8.6 is only for 5512-X to 5555-X?

- Jouni

Ah yes I see what you are mentioning Journi. The "and later" is indeed missing for 8.6. That's very odd since later ASDM can work with as far back as ASA 8.0.

I don't have a smaller X series with ASA 8.6 handily accessible right now - I have already upgaded all of mine in production to 9.1(1). I have one in the lab and I will remember to try it with ASDM 7.x later this week.

And, yes, 8.6 was only released for the 5512-X through 5555-X models. 9.0+ converged the forked 8.4 (classic), 8.5 (ASA-SM) and 8.6 (X series) code releases.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card