Helpful
Replies

Initial Firepower set up

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

Background: 

I'm using ASA 5506-X version 9.8.2 with FirePower module

It has inside a BVI address on the inside of 192.168.2.1 /24 which gives that out to all inside interface automatically.  

The outside interface is connected to the internet and can ping the internet, and gets it's address by DCHP.

I have a crossover cable connecting inside interface 1 (gig 1/2) to the management port.  I assume no switch is needed.

All these connections show as up/up

What are the next steps?

I tried using the ASA CLI to give the management 1/1 an IP address.  I thought I would best give it 192.168.2.2.  However, it gave an error: 

ERROR: Failed to apply IP address to interface Management1/1, as the network overlaps with interface BVI1. Two interfaces cannot be in the same subnet.

I'm not sure I understand conceptually what is happening here?

I then tried using ASDM, though I prefer to set this up with CLI.  But when I open the Startup Wizard, I get an error: 

ASDM is temporarily unable to contact the firewall.

I'm a bit lost as I've never done this before, and wanted to see if anyone can give me some tips on getting firepower initially configured and why I'm not able to get it to work.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Install and Configure a FirePOWER Services Module on an ASA Platform
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-firepower-services/118644-configure-firepower-00.html

HTH
Abheesh
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card