cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Routing ASA 5505

Garland Moore
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 that has been configured to act as a router as  well.  I have configured 3 VLANS that have access to the internet.  For  some reason the "InsideWifi" and the "Guest" VLANS have very slow  internet speeds and sometime web pages wont finish loading properly.   The "Inside" VLAN gets the speeds that are expected.  The DNS server  does reside on the "Inside" VLAN. Is there anything wrong with my  configuration that would cause the internet speeds on the other VLANS to  be slow?  My config is attached.

6 Replies 6

zujalal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Garland.

Have a look at this and see if you are facing something similar

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807968c8.shtml

In short, try adding the 'dns' keyword to your nat statement

HTH.

Hi Bro

To rule out your internal DNS server as the root cause, can you point your users in guest vlan and insidewifi’s dns settings to Public DNS Servers e.g. 8.8.8.8. If this is fast, then you’ll need to look deeper into your internal DNS Server. However, if this doesn’t resolve anything, then you could do the following;

a) To remove the threat-detection commands

b) To remove the ip audit commands

c) To fix the port/speed and duplex in Eth0/0-3 (do it on both ends)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam

Thanks for the replies,

Thanks for the reply, this issue actually ended up being a misconfigured DNS address on the DHCP server.  The DHCP server was handing out an address of 127.0.0.1 rather than its own address. Your response lead me to verify the configuration of all the DNS servers.  Its one of those things that I assumed was correct and didnt take the time to check everything.

Ramraj,

Did you get my PM?

Hi Bro

I just checked my inbox, there's no messages from you.

Moving forward, I'm glad to learn all is good. If you think my comment above was useful, please do rate them nicely and selct the option THIS QUESTION IS ANSWERED.

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam

Just sent the PM again... How do I mark the question as answered?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card