cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Address Change - Virtual FMC

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I am looking to change IP address of our FirePOWER Management Center which is virtual. I can see option to do this via the standard GUI but read conflicting info that I may need to ssh and also run some command line? Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The FirePOWER Management Center address can be changed from the GUI as you noted.

There is a console-based procedure that can be used in the event that you only have console access (initial setup, original IP lost/unknown, remote network only accessible via console server, etc.)

An ASA FirePOWER module needs to be changed from the cli as those do not have any graphical interface.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The FirePOWER Management Center address can be changed from the GUI as you noted.

There is a console-based procedure that can be used in the event that you only have console access (initial setup, original IP lost/unknown, remote network only accessible via console server, etc.)

An ASA FirePOWER module needs to be changed from the cli as those do not have any graphical interface.

Thanks Marvin.

I read somewhere, possibly on here that when someone changed the FMC IP, the FirePOWER modules that were registered against it somehow automagically picked up the new FMC address without them doing anything. Not a problem if not. I will add re register the modules to new IP.

Hey mate, 

did you do this in the prod network , if so, what was the impact of this to the registered devices?

Did FMC discover all of them automatically ?

Thanks,

Prashant

Hi Mavin, I found out that my FMC IP also needs to be changed soon due to some conflicts. I hope process is straight forward as below.
1. Back up FMC/FTD configs
2. Change IP of FMC
3. Remove manager from appliances (FTDs)
4. Re-add those appliances with changed FMC IP
Since everything is in production, dont want to make much interruption.

Any suggestions....Thanks in advance!

Atasawar1
Level 1
Level 1

Via virtual appliance console;

sudo ifconfig eth0 x.x.x.x/x

sudo ip route add default via x.x.x.x

The better way to do this is to execute the configure-network script.

sudo su

/etc/sysconfig/configure-network

Is this script also at:

/usr/local/sf/bin/configure-network?

Our is the location specific to FMC version?

Thanks,

This was helpful for me. 

a bit change I had to do - ifconfig eth0 x.x.x.x (no netmask or /mask was needed)

ip route add default via x.x.x.x

sheraz_latif
Level 1
Level 1

FMC & FTD are not typical linux operating systems they are based on firepower and you need to know firepower if you want to fix console and shell issues. I was facing same issues i wanted to change management IP address because i lost access to old subnet i tried to vi default network files but they have scripts instead of typical linux options so don't mess up with them you will eventually crash your equipment if you want to change management IP address of these equipment run below command on firepower

>expert
if you need "sudo su" ok go ahead provide credential

now type below command

"sudo /usr/local/sf/bin/configure-network" >>> follow the network setup instructions!

Sheraz

What happened to FTD after you change FMC IP address? any steps there? did they go down?

CCIE 18676

On Cisco FTD:

You have to remove FTD Manager (Configure manager delete)

Then again add it with new IP (#configure manager add <IP add> <Unique Code>

On Cisco FTD: No more change is needed

Note:

Your FTD and FMC IP addresses must be in same network

What if the FTD and FMC are on different networks?  In our case, we have several remote firewalls that are managed by the FMC at our main site (which is accessible thru a static mapping thru on of the FTD firewalls).  Can I not change the "Configure Manager" in this case on the remote FTD boxes?

@moj_ccie wrote:

On Cisco FTD:

You have to remove FTD Manager (Configure manager delete)

Then again add it with new IP (#configure manager add <IP add> <Unique Code>

On Cisco FTD: No more change is needed

Note:

Your FTD and FMC IP addresses must be in same network

they certainly must be reachable but not in the same network 

Exactly 

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card