cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is This Normal and What Is Causing It?

Shao-Yu Chen
Level 1
Level 1

Have noticed this today on our Cisco ASA dashboard. What could have caused the lines to be broken? We have no syslog server in place. What else can we do to look into to find the cause? 

ASA_Dashboard.png

Thank you,

Shao

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mdussana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shao-Yu Chen,

ASDM displays data that comes from the ASA via the asdm_handler. The ASA pushes (or should push) data every 10 sec. Could you please open a browser and point to https://x.x.x.x/asdm_handler. Run that in parallel to the ASDM. When there is a break in the ASDM graph, check the browser input to see whether there is a similar break there. The timestamp of each data push looks something like this:

The last two digits of the 2nd piece of data are the seconds and they should be incremented by 10 with every chunk of data:

TIMESTAMP|1270659232|EDT|-240
TIMESTAMP|1270659242|EDT|-240
TIMESTAMP|1270659252|EDT|-240

If there are breaks in the asdm_handler data, it's an ASA issue.  If you don't see a break around the time there's a break in ASDM's graphs, please check the whole browser output to see if you see a break in the browser as well.

Either way, I would recommend openning a ticket with TAC to further investigate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mdussana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shao-Yu Chen,

ASDM displays data that comes from the ASA via the asdm_handler. The ASA pushes (or should push) data every 10 sec. Could you please open a browser and point to https://x.x.x.x/asdm_handler. Run that in parallel to the ASDM. When there is a break in the ASDM graph, check the browser input to see whether there is a similar break there. The timestamp of each data push looks something like this:

The last two digits of the 2nd piece of data are the seconds and they should be incremented by 10 with every chunk of data:

TIMESTAMP|1270659232|EDT|-240
TIMESTAMP|1270659242|EDT|-240
TIMESTAMP|1270659252|EDT|-240

If there are breaks in the asdm_handler data, it's an ASA issue.  If you don't see a break around the time there's a break in ASDM's graphs, please check the whole browser output to see if you see a break in the browser as well.

Either way, I would recommend openning a ticket with TAC to further investigate.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I will use that to build my case and will open TAC for assistance.

Shao

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: