Views
Helpful
Replies

L-ASA5510-SEC-PL

lyesouarti
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have to ASA 5510 with a base licence. I have 8.4 on both of the firewalls, and would like to configure active/passive.

Do I need only one security plus lience or two,

This text has been copied from cisco.com:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e36.html

Failover Licenses (8.3(1) and Later)

Failover units do not require the same license on each unit. For earlier versions, see the licensing document for your version.

This section includes the following topics:

Failover License Requirements

How Failover Licenses Combine

Loss of Communication Between Failover Units

Upgrading Failover Pairs

Failover License Requirements

Failover units do not require the same license on each unit.

Older versions of ASA software required that the licenses match on each unit. Starting with Version 8.3(1), you no longer need to install identical licenses. Typically, you buy a license only for the primary unit; for Active/Standby failover, the secondary unit inherits the primary license when it becomes active. If you have licenses on both units, they combine into a single running failover cluster license.

For the ASA 5505 and 5510 ASAs, both units require the Security Plus license; the Base license does not support failover, so you cannot enable failover on a standby unit that only has the Base license.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alejands
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You will need two security plus licenses, the shared license feature on 8.3 and later will be for other licenses.

You will not be able to replicate configuration if the secondary unit does no support the feature.

Witout the license you will not be able to configure failover, so it will not replicate, so it will not shared that license.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alejands
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You will need two security plus licenses, the shared license feature on 8.3 and later will be for other licenses.

You will not be able to replicate configuration if the secondary unit does no support the feature.

Witout the license you will not be able to configure failover, so it will not replicate, so it will not shared that license.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards

Hello

Was this helpfull for you?

Regards

Yes, very helpful,

I have ordered the licenses.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: