cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN failover using a redundant interface

cclem
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to use a redundant interface for the LAN based failover it is a requirement that I must put a hub or switch between the two ASA devices? I am attaching a couple of recommened scenarios from Cisco -- one without a switch and one with a couple of switches.  If I don't use a switch or hub, I am thinking that I could have the active port on the primary unit connected directly to the standby port on the secondary unit thus causing a failure.

5 Replies 5

padatta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes, it is a requirement to have a switch or hub between the two units in case redundant interface is used as failover link.

This is explained here: (check under 'For failover, follow these guidelines when adding member interface')

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1062371

Paps

Thanks for the quick reply Padatta.  I was somewhat surprised to see the Cisco diagram showing the two failover links directly connected.

Andrew Ossipov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

This scenario is supported with Redunant interfaces in 8.0(4) and later software. I will get the documentation corrected.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Just to clarify. Are you saying that LAN failover using a redundant interface without a switch or hub is supported in 8.0(4) or later software? I have tested both scenarios shown above in my lab using a pair of 5550's with software version 8.4 and have not seen any issues when directly connected or when connecting through a switch.

Regards,

Charles

Hello Charles,

That is correct. You can use a pair of directly connected redundant intefaces as a failover or state link in 8.0(4), 8.1(2), and all of the later branches. The change to the configuration guides will be pushed out shortly.

Andrew

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card