Views
Helpful
Replies

License transfer fallback

Darren Durbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're about to swap out a few 4431's due to the clock signal issue.

I'm happy we've moved over the same IOS image file, moved the startup-config over, and we're ready to move the license to the new unit ( for the k9security features ), recable and power on.

My question is when/if does the k9security license on the old unit cease to work? It would be nice if we had a fallback position in case of an issue with the new unit where we could just reconnect the old unit, without having to reassign the license again.

If we keep the old unit powered on can we simply reconnect the network leads in the event of an issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the license was installed using a .lic file it will be active on the router until uninstalling the license, cisco doesn't/can't verify that the license is still being used on the old device.

If using smart licensing the router will notice that the license is removed upon next synchronization.

In that case another way to ensure you have the proper licenses is activating an evaluation license.

HTH

Bogdan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the license was installed using a .lic file it will be active on the router until uninstalling the license, cisco doesn't/can't verify that the license is still being used on the old device.

If using smart licensing the router will notice that the license is removed upon next synchronization.

In that case another way to ensure you have the proper licenses is activating an evaluation license.

HTH

Bogdan

That's great, Bogdan. Thanks.

These licenses were manufacturer install - configured on the unit when shipped from Cisco. So it looks like I'm safe to rehost there through the License Administration Portal, whilst still having a fallback position just in case.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card