Views
Helpful
Replies

Making webserver on 8080 available to the outside on 80

ralf.rottmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Sorry for "spamming" this forum but we're new to the ASA and really want to get the most out of it.

We're running three networks (inside, outside and dmz). Inside is 10.0.1.0/24, dmz is 10.0.2.0/24, outside is a static ip allocated by our ISP. We'd like to configure the following:

All traffic from the outside to [static provider ip] on port 80 should go to 10.0.2.200 port 8080.

What do we have to configure to do so?

14 Replies 14

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd suggest using the wizards built into the ASA configuration GUI (ASDM). You will generally need 1. a NAT rule to translate your internal address to an external one and 2. an access-list rule to allow exteranlly initiated requests to come through the firewall.

Marvin, could you possibly provide the command line commands for doing exactly this?

Anybody? This is pretty urgent... we need to make the web server listening on port 8080 on the dmz network available to outside requests coming in on port 80 of the public IP address. Please, everything we tried failed so far.

Hi ralf,

Follow this:

object network provider_ip

host 1.1.1.1

object network private_ip

host 10.0.2.200

object service tcp_80

service tcp destination eq 80

object service tcp_8080

service tcp destination eq 8080

nat (outside,inside) source static any any destination static provider_ip private_ip service tcp_80 tcp_8080

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Varun,

His server is on DMZ. So NAT rule would need to be:

nat (outside,dmz) source static any any destination static provider_ip private_ip service tcp_80 tcp_8080

Do you agree?

He would also need an access list for the incoming traffic, yes?

ralf.rottmann
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot, again!

The web server is not on the inside network but on the dmz. Can I just replace every occurrence of inside with dmz in the above?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

ralf.rottmann
Level 1
Level 1

Also, do we need any form of acl / firewall rule in addition the the above?

Oooopss, sorry missed that...Thanks Marvin for the sharp eye , yes Ralf you would also need he access-list on outside interface, make sure you include the private ip of the server on that access-list and allow for port 8080.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

ralf.rottmann
Level 1
Level 1

Varun, would you mind giving me the exact command for the access list(s)? Really don't want to trial-and-error anymore...

Now I am just assuming the name of the access-list on the outside interface, you can change it accordingly:

access-list outside_access_in permit tcp any host 10.0.2.200 eq 8080

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

show access-list outputs the following. Is it safe to assume that I can just enter the above command exactly as it is?

gcxfw# show access-list

access-list cached ACL log flows: total 0, denied 0 (deny-flow-max 4096)

alert-interval 300

Well if you dont have any access-list applied on the ASA then this is the complete syntax for it:

access-list outside_access_in permit tcp any host 10.0.2.200 eq 8080

access-group outside_access_in in interface outside

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks,

Thanks,

---

Posted by WebUser Bmr Bahrawy from Cisco Support Community App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card