Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft ActiveX not loading in web page

adil.nasser3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am troubleshooting an issue where a user is unable to load a web page which contains ActiveX.  The web page mostly loads but the ActiveX components fail to load.  The ActiveX components is supposed to load a security camera video window.  I checked the manual for the camera applications and have verified that all the required ports are allowed through the firewall.  Also, watching the monitor log in ASDM there are no denies occurring yet this application is not loading.  I suspect the firewall because when the firewall is removed from the path, the ActiveX applet loads fine in the browser.

I am hoping someone in this forum has come across this before and maybe aware of the reason for this issue and how to fix.

Thanks,

Adil

3 Replies 3

Pageplayer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm assuming this is a ASA firewall?

The ASA does in fact block ActiveX.. I think it's a "filtering" command..

If you can provide more details I'll try to point you in the right direction, or you can try a google search for ASA ActiveX filtering.

Hi,

Yes, this is a Cisco ASA 5555

Here is additional details provided to Cisco TAC.  If you need more information, please let me know.

What tcp/udp ports are being used or needed?The connection is initially made on tcp port 80 (http), then additional connections are made on tcp ports: 135, 10000, 41301 – 41399

Was the traffic flowing before? Yes, this traffic was working fine before changing firewalls.

Have you had any recent change on config, software or hardware? Yes, the firewalls were changed, the model is the same, but the current firewall is running different code.  The old firewall was running code: asa912-smp-k8.bin.  The current firewall is running code: asa916-1-smp-k8.bin

Adil

Adil,

If you are able to access the ASA, you can turn off filtering..
The following example shows how to remove ActiveX filtering:

hostname(config)# no filter activex 80 0 0 0 0

More info here;
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/access_filter.pdf

Chuck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card