cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT Challenges

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I think I need a twice nat but i have never done one and its confusing to me. 

My scenario is this:

Client A = 10.81.113.10

Server B = 10.0.1.4

Site A has Client A

Site B has Server B

Client A cannot hit Server B on its IP address (real IP). Server B sits behind an ASA. I have created a one to one nat for Client A to hit 172.16.3.4 rather then 10.0.1.4.

object network SERVER_EXTERNAL_NAT_IP
host 172.16.3.4
object network SERVER_INTERNAL_IP
host 10.0.1.4

nat (inside,outside) static SERVER_EXTERNAL_NAT_IP

So from client A to that server communication works. Now here is the issue. Because client A has an application that is set to talk to 172.16.3.4, when Server B makes a connection to Client A it uses its real IP of 10.0.1.4 and the application doesn't understand that. So how do I make sure when the server communicates out to JUST client A that its IP is source IP is 172.16.3.4?

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can use the following commands:

object network SERVER_EXTERNAL_NAT_IP
host 172.16.3.4
host 10.0.1.4

object network CLIENTA

host x.x.x.x

!
nat (inside,outside) source static SERVER_INTERNAL_IP SERVER_EXTERNAL_NAT_IP destination static CLIENTA CLIENTA no-proxy-arp route-lookup

Test it and let me know.

Also, if not working, run the following command and pase the output into a text file:

packet-tracer input inside icmp 10.0.1.4 8 0 x.x.x.x —> where x.x.x.x is client A IP

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

ERROR: Option route-lookup is only allowed for static identity case

I think what I am trying to accomplish is impossible. 

Lets say I have Server B at site B, one single network card, 10.0.1.2. Local things connect to 10.0.1.2, but when I create the NAT for Site A to connect to it on 172.16.3.4, the local communication stops working? is it because of the NAT on the firewall?

if it only has one nic card, Yes. it can either support one rule(without NAT or With NAT). to accomplish that, i would do it with two nic cards, one for local network and other for external and add routing rules on the server.

Please rate comments and support
with regards,
Venkat

Yeah sorry for the route-lookup my bad.

However, on which asa you're setting this nat on site B or site A?

Can you share a quick sketch on how everything is setup? What you want to do is possible, now it depends on how and this will depend on your design?
I just assumed a design based on description you gave but maybe I assumed wrong. That's why I'm asking a quick design

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card